Mark Thompson, the new chief executive and chairman of CNN, faces a crucial test on several fronts as he seeks to https://automotivegreen.com/ revive the news network’s fortunes.
Thompson, who took over in August, inherits a company that has been struggling to compete with rivals like Fox News and MSNBC. CNN’s ratings have been declining for years, and the network has been hit by a number of high-profile departures, including that of former chief executive Jeff Zucker.
In addition to the ratings challenges, Thompson also faces the task of modernizing CNN’s business model. The network has been slow to adapt to the rise of streaming, and it is now facing increasing competition from digital-native rivals like The New York Times and The Washington Post.
Thompson has said that he is committed to making CNN a more digital-focused news organization. He has also said that he wants to make the network more relevant to younger viewers.
It remains to be seen whether Thompson will be able to turn things around at CNN. But he has a tough road ahead of him.
In addition to the challenges mentioned above, Thompson also faces the following:
- The need to attract and retain top talent. CNN has lost a number of high-profile journalists in recent years, and Thompson will need to find ways to keep the best and brightest at the network.
- The need to find new revenue streams. CNN’s traditional advertising business is under pressure, and Thompson will need to find new ways to generate revenue.
- The need to navigate the changing media landscape. The news industry is undergoing a period of rapid change, and Thompson will need to make sure that CNN is positioned for success in the years to come.
It will be a tall order, but Thompson is a seasoned executive with a proven track record. He has a good chance of turning things around at CNN, but it will take time and effort.
Here are some of the things that Thompson can do to improve CNN’s fortunes:
- Invest in high-quality journalism. CNN needs to produce more hard-hitting, in-depth reporting that will attract viewers and keep them engaged.
- Refocus on its core audience. CNN needs to make sure that its programming is relevant to its target audience, which is primarily older, college-educated adults.
- Embrace digital. CNN needs to become a more digital-first news organization. This means investing in new technologies and platforms, and creating content that is tailored for digital audiences.
- Diversify its revenue streams. CNN needs to find new ways to generate revenue, beyond traditional advertising. This could include things like subscription fees, licensing deals, and events.
If Thompson can do these things, he will be well on his way to turning CNN around.